Link To This PageContact Us

Revolutionary War Raids & Skirmishes in 1782

•  January 1782  •  Febuary 1782  •  March 1782  •  April 1782  •  May 1782  •  June 1782   •
•  July 1782  •  August 1782  •  September 1782  •  October 1782  •  November 1782  •  December 1782   •


? in ?, ? - ??. Conclusion: ? Victory. Casualties: American: ?; British: ?







MAY OF 1782


JUNE OF 1782

June 1, 1782 at Amelia Township, South Carolina, The Battle of Amelia Township - On June 1, a group of Patriot militia were on their way from the Congarees Creek to Maj. Gen. nathanael Greene's camp. A group of Loyalist militia, commanded by Capt. ?? Sharp, immediately attacked them, killing a few and dispersing the rest of the group. Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: American: 4k; British: ?

June 4-5, 1782 at Sandusky, Ohio , The Battle of Sandusky - On June 4-5, in a 2-day battle 3 miles northeast of Upper Sandusky, a Patriot militia, commanded by Maj. William Crawford, force of about 500, attacked a group of 300 rangers and Indians. The militia appeared to be winning the battle when British reinforcements arrived. Casualties were light on both sides, but Crawford was taken prisoner and killed by the Indians. Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: American: 10+k; British: ?

June 23, 1782 at Ebenezer, Georgia, The Battle of Ebenezer - Upper Creek chief Emistisiguo tried to avoid Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne's Patriot camp at Savannah. He did want to strike at Wayne's pickets on his way into Savannah to let them know that they weren't safe from Indian attacks. He had been supplied with intelligence from his white Loyalists and his black guides.

On June 23, during the night, Emistisiguo surprised Wayne in his camp. After killing a lone sentry, Emistisiguo thought that he only had a small picket to deal with, but the lone sentry managed to fire off a shot before he died. This shot alerted the rest of the Patriot camp of the approach of Emistisiguo's men. The Indians drove the Patriots out of the camp and Capt. Alexander Parker rallied his light infantry behind a nearby house. They were then ordered to make a bayonet charge.

Emistisiguo tried to turn his artillery against the charging infantry, but was soon killed in a fierce hand-to-hand struggle. After seeing their chief killed, the remaining Indians fled the fighting and made their way into Savannah. The Patriots took 12 prisoners, 127 of the Indian's horses, and a considerable number of pelts. Conclusion: American Victory. Casualties: American: 5k, 7w; British: 18k, 12c

JULY OF 1782

July 11, 1782 at Savannah, Georgia, The Evacuation of Savannah - On July 11, the British force evacuated the city of Savannah. They had occupied the city for 2 1/2 years. Conclusion: American Victory.

July 25, 1782 at Skidway Island, Georgia, The Battle of Skidway Island - On July 25, Lt. Col. James Jackson led his Georgia Legion attacked a small garrison of British Marines on Skidway Island. Jackson overtook the garrison. This was the last recorded in Georgia. Conclusion: American Victory.


August ??, 1782 at Whitehall, South Carolina, The Battle of Whitehall - In August, Capt. G. S. Capers was sent into southeastern Berkeley County with 12 cavalrymen. They discovered 26 Black Dragoons, commanded by Capt. ?? March. Capers charged the British and defeated them. Conclusion: American Victory. Casualties: American: 2w; British: ?

August 29, 1782 at Wadboo, South Carolina, The Battle of Wadboo - On August 29, Maj. Thomas Fraser set out to surprise the Patriot guards at Biggin Bridge and Strawberry Ferry. Fraser thought the the main body of Patriots, commanded by Brig. Gen. Francis Marion, was still in Georgetown. In fact, Marion was back at his post on the southside of the Wadboo River. When Marion learned of the British approach, his cavalry was patrolling down the river looking for the British fleet. Marion gathered a small force, commanded by Capt. Gavin Witherspoon, to find Fraser. Part of the force set up an ambush while the rest went looking for the British force.

Fraser captured some of the Patriot pickets as he approached the houses being used by Marion. Fraser detected Witherspoon in the woods and immediately charged. Witherspoon turned his men back and withdrew. As the British came to within 30 yards of the ambush site, the Patriots opened fire. Fraser tried to rally his men but they were being cut down from both sides of the road. During the fight, the horses of Marion's ammunition wagon was startled and bolted from the area. Some men tried to catch the wagon but was unsuccessful.

For an hour, Fraser's men looked around the plantation looking for an advantage, but Marion had planned too well. Without the ammunition wagon, Marion didn't have any cartridges and wasn't able to continue the fight. He gave the order to retreat to the Santee River. Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: American: ?; British: 4k. 6w

August 29, 1782 at Fair Lawn, South Carolina, The Battle of Fair Lawn - On August 29, at the settlement of Fair Lawn, Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and his small force had set up an ambush for the approaching British. Fair lawn was located on the Cooper River near Charleston. Maj. Thomas Fraser was in command of the 200-man British dragoon force. He was sent from Charleston with the mission of finding marion's force and to kill or capture them upon contact. Marion sent Capt. Gavin Witherspoon and a reconnaissance party out to find Fraser and lead the British into the the ambush site. They did just that. Once Fraser entered the ambush site, Marion ordered his men to open fire. Very quickly, the Americans killed 20 of Fraser's dragoons. The British fought back and captured one of Marion's ammunition wagons. They turned the tide of battle and by losing the ammunition wagon, Marion was forced to withdraw from the area because of a lack of gunpowder. Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: American: ?; British: 20k


September ??, 1782 at Edisto Island, South Carolina, The Battle of Edisto Island - In September, Col. Edward Lacey and 20 men was ordered to protect Edisto Island from British raiding parties. They captured 2 British ships loaded with provisions. The boats were burned and was soon being pursued by a British landing party. Lacey positioned his men in an advanyagous position and waited for the British. As they approached his position, Lacey ordered his men to open fire. After two volleys, the British stopped their pursuit and retreated. Conclusion: American Victory.

September 2, 1782 at Port Royal, South Carolina, The Battle of Port Royal Ferry - On September 2, the British were at Port Royal Ferry, along with the galleys HMS Balfour and HMS Shark. Brig. Gen. ?? Gist had followed the British here and planned to attack them. Gist opened fire on the ships with his artillery piece. Both ships slipped their cables and tried to escape. The Balfour quickly ran aground, with it's crew spiking the guns and abandoning the ship. The Patriots captured the ship, along with the cargo of beef, rice, and poultry. The Belfour was repaired, outfitted with new guns, and was put into service with the Patriot navy. Conclusion: American Victory.

September 11-13, 1782 at Fort Henry, Virginia, The Battle of Fort Henry - On September 11-13, a force of 250 Indians and 40 Loyalists started a 3-day siege of Fort Henry. The Patriot force inside the fort withstood the siege and the Indians and Loyalists gave up the attempt to capture the fort. They soon left the area emptyhanded. This battle has been described as the last "battle" of the war. Conclusion: American Victory.


October ??, 1782 at Saltketcher Swamp, South Carolina, The Battle of Saltketcher Swamp - In October, Capt. John Carter took his Volunteer Scout men to Dean's Swamp. Their mission was to break up an assembly of Loyalists. On their way, at Saltketcher Swamp, they were ambushed by a 25-man group of Loyalists, commanded by Capt. Tenison Cheshire. Despite several casualties, the Patriots were able to drive the Loyalists into the swamp. Conclusion: American Victory.

Back to top


November 4, 1782 at John's Island, South Carolina, The Battle of John's Island - On November 4, Capt. William Wilmot led a successful attack against a British foraging party in the vicinity of John's Island. Wilmot was killed in the attack. According to some, Wilmot was the last person killed in the Revolutionary War. Conclusion: American Victory. Casualties: American: 1k; British: ?

November 14, 1782 at James Island, South Carolina , The Battle of James Island - On November 14, in the morning, Col. Count Thaddeus Kosciuszko and his 70+ Patriots engaged the 300 man British escort of a woodcutting party on James Island. British reinforcements were quickly brought up and greatly outnumbered the Patriots. After an intense fight, the Patriots withdrew from their position. Capt. William Wilmont was the last Continental soldier killed in the Carolinas. Conclusion: British Victory. Casualties: American: 5k, 5w; British: 2k, 3w


December 14, 1782 at Charleston, South Carolina, The Evacuation of Charleston - On December 14, early in the morning, Maj. Gen. Alexander Leslie, commanding the British forces in South carolina, withdrew his forces from the advanced works on the Charleston peninsula. He marched them down to Gadsden's Wharf. Here, the British force embarked by sea. Along with the soldiers, the British command took with them some 3,380 Loyalists and 5,000 Negro slaves. This evacuation completed the British withdrawal of all troops from the Southern Colonies. At 11:00 A.M., after the British evacuation, Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne and his Continental trrops occupied the city. Conclusion: American Victory.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012,