Link To This PageContact Us

The Battle of Staten Island

August 22, 1777 at Staten Island, New York

American Forces Commanded by
Gen. John Sulliavan
Strength Killed Wounded Missing / Captured
1,000 10 15 140
British Forces Commanded by
Gen. John Campbell
Strength Killed & Wounded Missing / Captured
3,000 600 259
Conclusion: Draw
New York and New Jersey, 1776-1777

On August 22, 1777, the Battle of Staten Island occured here between several companies of the 2nd Canadian Regiment recruited and fighting on the American side, other American companies, and the British. While the battle was inconclusive, both sides surrendering over hundred each as prisoners, the Americans withdrew.

British forces remained on Staten Island throughout the war. Although local sentiment was predominantly Loyalist, the islanders found the demands of supporting the troops to be onerous. Many buildings and churches were destroyed, and the military demand for resources resulted in an extensive deforestation of the island by the end of the war. The British again used the island as a staging ground for their final evacuation of New York City on December 5, 1783. After the war, the largest Loyalist landowners fled to Canada and their estates were subdivided and sold.

Two regiments had been raised from Canada in support of the revolutionaries cause. They were the First and 2nd Canadian Regiments. This second regiment engaged in this battle, which occurred between the skirmish of Hanover and the Battle of Brandywine.

Several of the regiment's companies participated in the Battle of Staten Island on August 22, 1777. as explained in a letter from Samuel Chase to Thomas Johnson:

"25 Aug 1777 This Moment, while writing, Colo. Hazen showed Me a Letter, giving an account of an attempt by Gen. Sullivane on the Enemy on Staten Island last Thursday. One party under Colo. Ogden of 500, surprised the Enemy, killed a few, made 100 prisoners & returned. Sullivane commanded Deborres Brigade, he killed 5 & made 30 prisoners. Gen. Smallwood had no Luck. He was discovered & the Enemy escaped. So far Success. About 9 o'Clock the two Brigades joined, & began to cross at the old blazing Starr. Before all our Men got over, the Enemy came up & attacked 150 of our Men. Our People behaved bravely, drove the Enemy several Times, but were overpowered. We had but a few killed. We lost 130 privates prisoners. Colo. Antill, Major Woodson, Major Stewart, Major Tillard, Capt. Carlisle, & Duffee a Surgeons Mate are taken. Capt. Hoven, Lieut. Campbell, Lt. Anderson & Ensign Lee were not mentioned in the flagg & are suffered to be killed. Several Field & Commd. officers fell into our Hands. The above is the substance of the Letter.

Hazen's Regiment's casualty loss was 8 officers and 40 men. Also captured was Captain James Herron. Lt. Col. Antill would not be exchanged until November 2, 1780).

Old Blazing Star was the site of a Landing at the present-day town of Carteret, New Jersey. The Blazing Star Ferry crossed the Arthur Kill to the present-day town of Rossville, Staten Island here. The Old Blazing Star Inn was on the New Jersey side. This was the crossing point for General Sullivan's men.

Of note, a second ferry crossing was about one mile to the north, also in present-day Carteret, New Jersey. Its ferry went to present-day Travis, New York. The New Blazing Star Inn was located on Staten Island at what is now the foot of Victory Boulevard

Site Map | Copyright © 2012,